The Effects of Domestic Violence on Children
Definition of Domestic Violence: A pattern of coercive behavior which may include physical and sexual violence, threats, insults and economic deprivation which is aimed at gaining and then maintaining power and control over the body, mind, lifestyle and behavior of a partner.
• Witnessing Domestic Violence is the single best predictor of juvenile delinquency.
• The rate of partner violence is 1000% higher for men who observed domestic violence in childhood.
Children are faced with the overwhelming task of finding;
• a sense of trust with the untrustworthy
• safety in a situation which is unsafe
• control in a terrifying and unpredictable environment.